Saturday, January 27, 2018

Copenhagen, Denmark - The Royal Palace

Of course I visited the Royal Palace (we were on our way here when we caught the Queen's band leaving the other day) .

The Original Palace burned down years ago and the Royal family moved here temporarily (it wasn't orignally built to be a palace as there are 4 separate quarters),  but they liked it so much they stayed. 

You can't see in these images but the Danish flag was at full staff so I asked my host, Peter, what that meant and he said that means the Queen is home. With a look of disbelief on my face I asked him "What about her safety, doesn't knowing she's home risk her safety?". He simply replied "We don't have those problems here".

My 'American parinoia' had been officially challenged and proven wrong. It's nice to know that all countries don't always have to be on high alert! Denmark is currently ranked the #1 happiest country in the world, and has been several times. Even with some of the highest taxes in the world (currently 60%) and long winters (there's now only 8hrs of daylight since I've been here) they have universal healthcare, universal pensions, short 35-37hr work weeks, legally mandated 4 weeks minimum vacation, & paid maternity and paternity leave just to name a few.

They've even changed their Constitution a few times to stay current with the times (most notably to allow daughters to inherit the crown just like sons). I love the progressive mindset! :)

#EnjoyingTheJourney








No comments:

Post a Comment