Sunday, January 28, 2018

Denmark - Freetown Christiana

I visited, Christiania, which is known as the 'hippie' community as my host Peter called it. Taking pictures are not advised because some of the activity - Peter even said one of his guests had her phone thrown in the water by one of the residents because they thought she was filming them. Peter said this was only the 2nd time he has been in this neighborhood. So I took this pic at the outskirts of the community which is a nice example of some of the nice street art.

The people in Christiania have developed their own set of rules, independent of the Danish government. The rules forbid stealing, violence, guns, knives, bulletproof vests, hard drugs and bikers' colors.


Famous for Pusher Street, where hash and skunk weed are sold, it does have rules forbidding 'hard drugs', such as cocaine, amphetamine, ecstasy and heroin. The hash commerce is controversial, because it's not legal, but since the rules require a consensus they can't be removed unless everybody agrees. 

The dichotomy is that this area is only a short distance from the Royal Palace which is what piqued most of my inetrest :)

Well that's it for Denmark - thanks for being part of this journey. Next stop Lapland, Finland to chase Wonder of the World the Northern Lights again (Finland was my backup plan for Northern Ireland). I never thought I would ever go to Finland but I'm too close to not stop by, and looking forward to being so close to the North Pole and hanging out with a few reindeer :)

#EnjoyingTheJourney



No comments:

Post a Comment