Monday, November 6, 2017

Amsterdam - Red Light District

I'm still on the fence about my feelings about the Red Light District. I went during the day and again at night. For those that don't know prostitution is legal in Amsterdam. Prostitutes register with the government as a business and even have a union.


On one hand I'm glad that it's controlled and safer, instead of stigmatized like most countries, but on the other hand it makes me sad that a woman feels the need to sell her body this way & they're just standing in a window waiting for someone to 'buy' them. You're not allowed to take pictures of them, but trust me they are not 'skanky/trashy' like the stereotypical prostitutes you see standing on the corner in the states - these are beautiful women who I'm sure make a good living at what they do.




Even though I know sex sells, it bothers me that it's more lucrative to sell your body than to have a more honorable profession (ie. teacher, fireman, etc.) I've never met anyone who's always dreamed of being a prostitute. I asked my host if prostitutes are glamorized here because of the Red LIght District, and he said absolutely not - just like anywhere else no one wants their daughter to be a prostitute.

1 comment:

  1. Of course it's more lucrative. Humans are pleasure seekers.

    ReplyDelete