Monday, November 13, 2017

Arriving in Almere, Netherlands To Start Workaway Volunteer Project


I arrived in Almere (about 20 miles east of Amsterdam) 10 days ago to begin my Workaway volunteer project. I'll be here about 4 weeks helping at the community center (named Karibu) for refugees & also the multiple permiculture projects via my host's non-profit named 'Inspirati'.

My hosts are an amazing couple named Tom & Amal. Tom is Dutch and Amal is Gambian & German, and they have 2 daughters (Yasmin, 15 & Zara 8). Amal's passion for helping refugees is birthed from her own father being a German refugee.

I've always found people who dedicate their lives to helping others are the most selfless, and Tom & Amal are no different. They created Inspirati, 8 years ago in the Netherlands & recently sold their house to move onto the land in support of their permaculture (self-sustaining/eco-friendly living) project. It's cheaper to purchase just the land then add electricity, plumbing, etc. yourself so that's what they are in the process of doing. 

They are currently living in a 600 sqft house that volunteers built for them. Also on their property is a teepee, chicken coup, & 2 campers (I'm staying in one & a Syrian refugee named Madhat is staying in the other - he has been here for 2.5 yrs and Tom/Amal's right-hand for Inspirati). Yes you read that correctly - I'm living in a camper, next to a teepee, for the next month lol :) This is no frills, semi off-the-grid, the most basic of living situations - there is no address, closest bus stop is almost a mile away, no electricity, no running water, & everyone shares the detached shower and toilet (thankfully I stocked up on baby wipes because I'm not quite feelin' that shower - lol). I was drawn to this project for several reasons but the main reason is because of a show in the states on HGTV called 'Tiny House Living'. It's about people getting off the hampster wheel and deciding to declutter & take control of their lives by downsizing & living with less.










Tom/Amal also help refugees seeking asylum so they have dozens of refugees, that have fled their countries, around the city that are part of Inspiriati. My neighbor Madhat fled Syria over 2 years ago after the war and now part of the Inspirati program - his father and son were both killed in the war, and his wife of 15 yrs lives in Dubai, but is unable to leave because she's Palestinian. As you can imagine he and I are having enlightening conversations about the devastation of wars - especially since the US played a big part in the destruction of his country. Despite it all he has the most positive attitude and grateful for the opportunity to be part of Inspirati. He says he now considers the Netherlands his home.

Being here is reminding me of my grandmother who recently passed right before I left the states. She'd perfected 'keeping it simple' in spite of it all, and that's definitely resonating with me now at an elevated level :)

#EnjoyingTheJourney

No comments:

Post a Comment