Monday, November 6, 2017

I went to the Anne Frank house. I opted not to pay the touristy entrance fee to the museum, nor stand in the ridiculously long line in 13C/55F weather, but I did learn a few facts that surprised me... 








1. I didn't know that she was eventually captured and died in the concentration camps. She and her sister died of typhus in March 1945, just a few weeks before British troops liberated Bergen-Belsen on April 15, 1945.

2. She started rewriting her diary with the intention of publication (very ambitious to be so young).

3. Her father was the only surviving family member who discovered, after her death, that she wanted to have her diary published. So to honor her memory he made sure her diary was published.

4. Frank's original red plaid diary was only one of three in which she wrote her thoughts during the 25 months that she and her family hid from the Nazis in a concealed apartment in the building that is now the Anne Frank House.

5. The government originally wanted to demolish her home, but public protest preserved the now famous landmark. 



6. It is still unknown how she and her family were found - some still think a close friend betrayed them.

I can't even begin to imagine living in paranoid fear for over 2 years. Even though I try to keep a 'glass half full' perspective about life, I have to remind myself that educating myself about history is important so I can do my part in making sure it doesn't repeat itself. The motto at the Anne Frank house sums it up perfectly - "Never Forget".

#EnjoyingTheJourney

No comments:

Post a Comment